Thursday, November 19, 2009

What I've been up to...

Holy crap this minute taking has been kicking my ass. As soon as I look at a computer I start to get a headache. It doesn't help matters that the particular board I've been minute taking for does not get along and their meetings don't start until 7:30 and they are 3+ hours long!! Then I have to wake up in the morning and sort through 11 pages of petty bickering yeesh - I'm getting a head ache again.

Anyways, on to book stuff. I'm so not in the mood to write actual reviews so I'm just going to ramble a bit about what I've been reading.

Gone - Michael Grant
This book was awesome. Not perfect but awesome.

This is the blurb.

In the blink of an eye.
Everyone disappears.
Gone.
Everyone except for the young. Teens. Middle schoolers. Toddlers. But not a single adult. No teachers, no cops, no doctors, no parents. Gone, too, are the phones, internet, and television. There is no way to get help.
Hunger threatens. Bullies rule. A sinister creature lurks. Animals are mutating. And the teens themselves are changing, developing new talents—unimaginable, dangerous, deadly powers—that grow stronger by the day.
It's a terrifying new world. Sides are being chosen and war is imminent.
The first in a breathtaking saga about teens battling each other and their darkest selves, gone is a page-turning thriller that will make you look at the world in a whole new way.


I don't normally browse the young adult section of the book store so I generally only pick them up when something on one of the display tables catches my attention. This one caught my attention because I thought the cover was ugly. After reading the back though I had to break one of my cardinal rules and purchase a stupid trade paperback. It was so worth it though. I loved this book. The story flew along and I mean flew. The action was pretty much non-stop through the whole thing and I actually cared about the characters. The bad guys were very bad and although I think the female characters could have been a little better fleshed out the male characters were very well done and multi-dimensional. I am so looking forward to the second book which is only out in hardcover right now and I absolutely refuse to buy. As soon as it comes out in paperback though you better believe I'll be picking it up.




Blood Rites - Dresden Files #6
Summary: HARRY DRESDEN--WIZARD
Lost items found. Paranormal Investigations.
Consulting. Advice. Reasonable Rates.
No Love Potions, Endless Purses, or
Other Entertainment.

For Harry Dresden, Chicago's only professional wizard, there have been worse assignments than going undercover on the set of an adult film. Dodging flaming monkey poo, for instance. Or going toe-to-leaf with a walking plant monster. Still, there's something more troubling than usual about his newest case. The film's producer believes he's the target of a sinister entropy curse, but it's the women around, him who are dying, in increasingly spectacular ways.
Harry's doubly frustrated because he got involved with this bizarre mystery only as a favor to Thomas, his flirtatious, self-absorbed vampire acquaintance of dubious integrity. Thomas has a personal stake in the case Harry can't quite figure out, until his investigation leads him straight to Thomas's oversexed vampire family. Harry's about to discover that Thomas's family tree has been hiding a shocking secret: a revelation that will change Harry's life forever...

Ahh what can I say I love Harry Dresden. The fact that it took me an entire week to read this book just goes to show how busy I've been. I think this is my favourite in the series so far but they are all totally awesome.



1 comment:

Hilcia said...

Argh, novelnelle your minute taking gig sounds like a nightmare. :(
Gone sounds like Lord of the Flies gone PNR, but in a good way... interesting. I don't usually like YA romance, but do enjoy YA fantasy. This looks interesting.

I STILL have the 1st Dresden book on my TBR pile *sigh*... maybe I'll begin reading this series next year.