Thursday, November 26, 2009

I hate this chick

Okay, so I'm reading Wild Swan by Celeste DeBlasis which has been in my TBR pile for well over two years and was on my TBB list for at least 4 years prior to that. When I finally stumbled upon the whole series in a USB in Michigan I bought them all. Why? Well for one I'd spent four years looking for these books and damned if I was going to spend another four looking for the next book and two it had soooo many things going for it love triangle (my favourite plot type), it was huge and epic (I love big books), plus it had a glowing review on AAR and sounded right up my alley.

Well - as my title suggests (okay who am I kidding - screams) I hate this chick. I can't stand her she is just soooooo perfect and self-sacrificing it makes me want to puke. It seems like everytime I turn the page Alex is doing something else that is going to make her own life miserable but will undoubtedly improve someonelse's. To me this is not a strong heroine this is a martyr needlessly sacrificing herself on the alter of her own happiness. I mean jeez lady when your husband treats you like dirt for 6 months instead of stoically enduring it because of all he's been through step up and tell him he's hurting you instead of waiting for one of his friends to do it for you. Yes, yes, yes this is a common theme throughout romance novels but when the actual hero of the novel is standing there saying I will take you and the children away from this total douchebag who isn't good enough to lick the dirt off you're perfect feet and her response is "I love you more than anything but I can't do that to Sinje (yes please use your pet name for your husband when you are rejecting your lover) even though I don't think he loves me and has been treating me like a common whore I must stay with him for his own sake unless he chooses to leave me". Yes that is paraphrased but that's pretty much what she said.

Okay that was a huge run on sentence and this is turning into a very long rant. I'm obviously irritated but none-the-less I'm enjoying the book so I'm crossing my fingers that she evolves into something I can tolerate and the real hero actually finds someone better. It will never happen but a girl can dream.

3 comments:

PJ said...

It sounds like a wallbanger. You have more patience that I do.

I love books with strong heroines, but the one you've described doesn't sound like my definition of strong. It's my definition of wimpy. :-) I'm constantly on the lookout for fiction that meets this one criteria -- strong heroine. It can be physically strong or mentally strong or a heroine with a great deal of self possession. The current fad of kick-ass heroines is right up my alley.

Hilcia said...

Wallbanger! *shaking my head* I know just how you feel...

novelnelle said...

Pamela & Hilcia - I'm half way through the book and seriously considering giving up. Usually I know if I'm not going to like a book by page 100 and can give up before I've invested so much in it. Now I've invested my time into 300 pages of teeny tiny print and can't quite bring myself to put it aside...