Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Busy, Busy, Busy

I didn't realize how long it had been since I posted. I've started taking minutes at board meetings after work and typing them up on my own time to make a little extra cash and all this extra time on the computer has taken a bit of the fun out of blogging. Here are some mini-reviews anyways until I'm back to a somewhat regular schedule.













The Damsel in this Dress - Marianne Stillings

Blurb

Port Henry Ledger Book Review by Betsy Tremaine: WRONG GUY HAS THE WRITE STUFF IN TORRID LOVE STORY
Let me tell you, dear reader, I've rarely been subjected to such drivel as I have in the novels of bestselling tough-guy cop-turned-author J. Soldier McKennitt. The man himself, however, is considerably more interesting. Having finally met him at a recent writers' conference in Seattle, I am pleased to report that Soldier is a tall, dark, and gorgeous hunk of literary superstar. To my surprise, he became quite the charmer once his self-righteous indignation evaporated ... Could it have been this critic's blonde hair and hourglass figure that brought about such an abrupt turnaround? Or perhaps our Soldier boy was simply vanquished by this reviewer's intelligence and caustic wit. In any case, due to the recent emergence of a crazed stalker, this plot has since thickened uncomfortably, and Detective McKennitt has brashly assumed the role of my knight in shining Brooks Brothers.
Bottom Line: The only thing standing in the way of a beautiful relationship in this love story is the fact that the two protagonists are so deliriously, passionately wrong for each other!


This was a very cute and enjoyable book. It didn't blow me out of the water or anything but it was a fun and quick read. Betsy made for a strong and likable herione. There wasn't a whole lot of suspense but what there was was well done. The mystery was pretty easy to solve but then that could have been intentional. The only quibble I had was with Soldier (my cousins' dog is named Soldier so that was hard to get used to) plus he really did think like a girl trapped in a mans body. I don't have the book with me at the moment but when he first meets Betsy he thinks to himself that she made his heart go "twitterty pat" like the rabbit from Bambi. Really, what super manly hardened detective thinks in terms of Disney characters?? Otherwise, I enjoyed it and it made for a very nice weekend read.














Blurb

Sports agent Myron Bolitar is poised on the edge of the big time. So is Christian Steele, a rookie quarterback and Myron's prized client. But when Christian gets a phone call from a former girlfriend, a woman who everyone, including the police, believes is dead, the deal starts to go sour. Trying to unravel the truth about a family's tragedy, a woman's secret, and a man's lies, Myron is up against the dark side of his business—where image and talent make you rich, but the truth can get you killed.


This is the first book in Harlan Cobens Myron Bolitar series and it was awesome. There was a perfect balance of humour, suspense and character development. This was a really really good mystery too. There were plenty of twists and cliff hangers through out the book and it was seriously difficult to put the book down. I had no idea who the bad guy was. Everytime I thought I had it figured out something new would happen and only leave me with more questions. Really, this book was brilliantly plotted. I loved it and I can not wait to get the next one.

Currently reading


Gone by Michael Grant


In the blink of an eye.
Everyone disappears.
Gone.
Everyone except for the young. Teens. Middle schoolers. Toddlers. But not a single adult. No teachers, no cops, no doctors, no parents. Gone, too, are the phones, internet, and television. There is no way to get help.
Hunger threatens. Bullies rule. A sinister creature lurks. Animals are mutating. And the teens themselves are changing, developing new talents—unimaginable, dangerous, deadly powers—that grow stronger by the day.
It's a terrifying new world. Sides are being chosen and war is imminent.
The first in a breathtaking saga about teens battling each other and their darkest selves, gone is a page-turning thriller that will make you look at the world in a whole new way.



I'm not finished it yet but honestly this book is awesome and I just found out it was a part of a series double awesome. I can't believe how invested I am in this book. It's starting to fill in the void the Harry Potter series left. Once it's finished I'll post a more detailed review because really more people need to read this book!!!!!




2 comments:

Hilcia said...

I couldn't help laughing over the hardened detective thinking like a Disney character... I'm still chuckling over that one. :)

The Harlan Coben sounds good to me. I'll add it to my list under mystery. Coben is good and I I have one or two of his stand alones on my shelf. ;D

novelnelle said...

Hi Hilcia,

I hope you enjoy the Harlan Coben. It's a little dated because it was written in the early nineties but it doesn't take away from the book at all.