Saturday, November 14, 2009

Twice Loved - LaVyrle Spencer


The thing I love about LaVyrle Spencer is that she writes compelling emotional stories about ordinary people. There are no dukes, tycoons, millionaires, movie stars, golf pro's etc. these are just ordinary people involved in extraordinary love stories.

Laura and Rye Dalton have been in love with one another for as long as they can remember. When Rye's whaling ship goes down with no survivors Laura is left pregnant and alone. Dan Morgan is Rye's best friend and has loved Laura from a far since they were kids. Dan naturally steps in to help Laura and the two find comfort in one another.

When Rye returns five years later he is surprised to find that Laura is not present waiting for him when he gets off the ship. He is certain she must have received his letters about being put off his ship because of small pox and then being hired on to travel on the Omega. Of course Laura never recieved the letters and Rye returns home to find a son he never knew he had and his wife married to his best friend. To make matters even more difficult Josh (Rye's son) believes Dan is his father and has never been told about Rye.

Oh my heavens this book was gut renching. It's been a long time since I had a book take up so much of my time spent not reading. I couldn't put these four people out of my mind and I kept wondering how this could possibly come out happily.

I loved all the characters in this book they were so incredibly realistic. None of them are perfect and they all made mistakes some big, some small, but you still cared about and wanted everything to turn out all right.
Spencer has also done her research for this story and the island of Nantucket came alive in this book. If I didn't know any better I would think she'd lived there her entire life.

If you're like me and enjoy lots of angst in your books I highly recommend you pick this one up.

Rating 10/10

5 comments:

Kristie (J) said...

I only read this one the one time I think - and it was years ago - but gut wrenching is right!! It was very angsty wasn't it? And since I love angsty, I think I just might have to read this one again!

novelnelle said...

Hi Kristie,

I wrote this review a couple years ago but I still remember the book like I read it yesterday. It was such an emotional read. I'm still asking my husband if we can move to Nantucket just because I loved the setting of the book so much :)

He still says no :(

Hilcia said...

novelnelle, great review! Your love for the book comes shining through.

~ames~ said...

I've never read this author before but I love this kind of story. Am going to keep my eye out for this title.

novelnelle said...

Hilcia - thanks. I really did love this book. Definitely one of my top ten maybe even top 5 :)

Ames - I'm not sure if this one is out of print or not but Spencer is usually pretty easy to pick up at the UBS.