Saturday, October 24, 2009

Sometimes I do stupid things...

In 2001 my second cousin got really into reading fantasy.  She showed up at our house one day with a huge pile of fantasy novels she'd just picked up at Chapters and I made the teensy tiny comment of maybe I should try one of these.  Well that launched us on a two hour book buying binge that ended with me leaving with the first books of about 20 different series.  (I miss the days of unlimited disposable income).  Anyhoo, I have a number of those first books which are still unread - that book buying binge sparked a weekly visit to Chapters for me where I began to amass my now ridiculously large collection of unread books.  So last week I picked up The Diplomacy of Wolves by Holly Lisle which I bought during that first trip to Chapters.  Fantasy novels have been mostly miss for  me lately but I decided to try it anyways and it was really really good.  So I'm thinking to myself "Sweet an awesome new series to read".  Yeah...No.  I get to the end of the book and it's a huge cliffhanger - like gigantic, enormous I can't read a book between these two because I need to know what happened cliffhanger.  Now did I mention I bought this book in 2001??  That perhaps I should have made sure the following books were still somewhat readily available?  Cause guess what - they aren't.  I've searched high and low on the internet and I'm not able to find a copy of Vengeance of Dragons or Courage of Falcons anywhere that doesn't have a ridiculously high shipping charge (yea Canada Post!!).

So now I'm pissy -I'm sure I'll come across it eventually but I'm one of those instant gratification people and I don't wait well.  Of course this happens right after my husband put me on a very strict book budget - very strict meaning you have 1200 + books you do not need to buy anymore - budget.

Boo.

2 comments:

Hilcia said...

Oh noes! This would drive me crazy, nuts, out of my mind. I won't start old series unless I have at least the first 3 books... and make sure they're available. I'd be hunting the books down forever otherwise, lol!

novelnelle said...

I used to buy entire series in advance back in the days when I only had to worry about spending money on books but I was burned too many times and ended up giving away books that I'd never even cracked the pages on :( I'm still looking for the second and third books but I'm not having any luck.