Friday, October 16, 2009

My Top 16

I read on Kristie's blog here - that she saw a challenge on Jessica's blog here to list your top 16 romances. I'm sure there are plenty more lists out there but I haven't had much time to blog hop today. I admit this is the first time I've heard of Forever Amber but I'll have to keep an eye out for it now.

Here's my top 16

1. Outlander - Diana Gabaldon



I don't know if there will ever be another book like Outlander for me. I have yet to find another book that even comes close to having the same effect on me as Outlander. I also haven't been able to find another hero that is on the same level of awesomeness as Jamie.












                                             2. Heart of the West - Penelope Williamson




It's very hard for me to rank my favourite romances but Heart of the West is as close to No. 1 as you can get in my books without being Outlander :) This is still my absolute favourite Western and is also the first book I read with the love triangle (one of my favourite angst devices).












3. The Way Home - Megan Chance

Another western with a love triangle - what can I say I'm consistent.  Love love love this book Aaron is the most perfect beta hero.







                                                                                            








                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      4. For My Lady's Heart - Laura Kinsale










This is my absolute favourite medieval - it's pretty much perfect.  Perfect hero, perfect heroine, perfect couple, the most romantic book I think I've ever read.
















5. Midnight Honour - Marsha Canham






Most people seem to prefer the first two books in this series but Midnight Honour was heads and tails above the other two for me.  Coincidentally it also has a bit of a love triangle going on...

I also don't think I ever cried more than I did when I read this book.








                                                                                                       6. Almost Heaven - Judith McNaught







I just read this book recently and was absolutely blown away by it.  I loved Ian and Elizabeth.  This is probably the second most romantic book I've ever read.










7. By Arrangement - Madeline Hunter










Another fabulous medieval - David is one of my favourite heros.











                                                                                                  8. Twice Loved - Lavyrle Spencer










Surprise, Surprise another love triangle!! Lots of angst in this one.











9. Silk and Secrets - Mary Jo Putney







This was my favourite of the silk series and my favourite MJP so far.










                                                                                                               10. Devotion - Katherine Sutcliffe








I loved everything about this book.  Even the ending.  And I don't want to talk about Obsession.












11. The Enchanted Land - Jude Devereaux








Another western with lots of angst, big misunderstandings and long separations.












                                                                                                       12. Hummingbird - Lavyrle Spencer









Okay, even I'm surprised there is another love triangle on my list.  Apparently I like these even more than I realized.









13. A Kingdom of Dreams - Judith McNaught



If you've read it you know how wonderful this book is.  If you haven't you simply must go out and find it right now!
















                                                                                                        14. Bodyguard - Suzanne Brockmann





Another book where I differ from the majority.  This is my favourite Brockmann and I've read the majority of the troubleshooters series.  It's also the only non-historical romance to make it to my list.













15. A Knight in Shining Armour - Jude Devereaux









I also loved everything about this book - including the ending.  Unlike most people it seems.












                                                                                                        16. One Sinful Night - Kaitlin O'Riley











I'm still shocked by my reaction to this book.  I did not expect to love it as much as I did.

8 comments:

Wendy said...

Ack! The Megan Chance! I will not tell you how long that book has been in my TBR. I'm too embarrassed to say. I really need to pull that out and read it already.

And if I remember correctly, Kristie really likes that one too.....

novelnelle said...

Hi Wendy,

You really must read that book :) Aaron is such a great non-alpha hero and I know you like heroine centric stories and Eliza really grows and changes throughout the book (even if sometimes you want to smack her upside the head)

Anonymous said...

I wish I was as lonely as you so I could read all those books

Anyway, I have to get ready for a party. Ciao!

The romantic query letter and the happy-ever-after said...

You and I share a love of Judith McNaught's work. I love your blog, it is beautifully written and produced. Thanks for sharing. I'll visit again now I know where to find your blog.
All the very best,
Simone.

novelnelle said...

Hi Simone,

Thank you for dropping by and leaving such a lovely comment :) Judith McNaught is wonderful isn't she?

Danielle

Hilcia said...

Love your list. With those McNaughts, Deverauxs, Putney, and Kinsale, you can't go wrong... :)

novelnelle said...

Hi Hilcia,

I know the list is so mainstream isn't it :) I haven't done enough digging around in the genre to find any true buried treasures - I have to get through all these highly recommended much talked about books first!

Hilcia said...

Oh, the digging is the best part. I'm still digging and my list changes as I find those treasures. So, enjoy the hunt. ;P