Monday, September 28, 2009

Don't Look Down - Jennifer Crusie & Bob Mayer


Blurb from Amazon
It sounded simple. Go to Savannah. Finish directing an action-adventure film. Earn some quick money. Get a chance to see sister Daisy and niece Pepper. Instead, as soon as Lucy Armstrong arrives on the set of Don't Look Down, she discovers that nothing about her current job is simple. The cast is lackluster. What she has seen of the script is, even by Hollywood standards, unbelievably incoherent. The stunt coordinator is none other than her annoying ex-husband, Connor Nash, and her sister seems to have become a zombie. Bryce McKay, the movie's leading man, turns up with Captain J. T. Wilder, whom Bryce has personally hired to be his stunt double and military consultant. The last thing Lucy needs is a taciturn, too-sexy-for-his-own-good male like J. T. on her set, but once the going gets tough, someone like J. T. turns out to be exactly the kind of person Lucy decides she wants in her life. This first collaboration between best-selling romance writer Crusie and adventure-thriller writer Mayer is a rare delight. Mayer's delectably dry sense of humor perfectly complements Crusie's brand of sharp wit, and together the two have cooked up a sexy, sassy, and smart combination of romance and suspense that is simply irresistible.

My Review

I went into this book not expecting to like it very much. I was pleasantly surprised to find myself greatly enjoying it. Maybe because I'm not a hardcore Crusie fan I was able to accept the change in writing style easier than most.

The plot was fast moving and kept me interested and J.T. was so wonderfully realistic. I imagine that was Meyers doing and I really appreciated having the male point of view so very.... male. The romance didn't really work all that well for me and I would have been happy if the book just ended with the two being together. I didn't need the declaration of love and spending the rest of their lives together after three days - that's just creepy.

I don't always enjoy kids in the books I'm reading but I really enjoyed Pepper. She was a spoiled brat and hilarious. I don't think I would have enjoyed the book nearly as much without her.

I'm looking forward to their next collaboration "Agnes and the Hitman" which I think will be even better. I actually read the preview in the back of Don't look down and that is something I never do.

2 comments:

Marg said...

I was a bit disappointed with this one because I am a bit of a Crusie fan, but I did like Agnes and the Hitman quite a bit better.

novelnelle said...

Hi Marg,

Although I enjoy Crusie's books I'm not ga ga for her books so I think that's why I didn't mind Don't Look Down. Agnes and the Hitman was considerably better though and one of my favourites of the year.