Monday, July 12, 2010

I was stuck in Limbo...

...and now I'm back!  I hope.

I'm not sure what happened but I seemed to get stuck in this bizarre slump.  I was still reading and still enjoying reading but I just couldn't get excited about it.  I didn't want to write about what I was reading, I barely kept up my book log with dates and ratings, I stopped visiting the reading blogs/message boards and I wasn't even particularly interested in buying books. 

It was weird.

Thank God for Rosanne Bittner.  I needed a really good, angsty, great big thick western saga to pull me out of it and Wildest Dreams definetely fit the bill.  I can't remeber the last time I was this sucked into a book - to the point where I was cancelling plans with friends just so I could read more of it.   I finished all 600+ pages in two days and would have been shorter if I could have gotten around a few of the inconveniences of real life.

This book reminded me of why I love westerns so much.  I love how so much of the conflict comes from the dangers of living during that time and not foolishness from the hero/heroine.  The women had to be tough to survive back then so you are almost guaranteed a wonderful strong heroine (not fiesty - strong).  The men were not always rich and had to work to feed and protect their families. 

I'm so happy that the last time I was at the UBS there was an entire shelf of Rosanne Bittner novels.  As soon as I've saved up my money I'm heading off to scoop them all up. 

3 comments:

Lori said...

Oooh, yay! Another western historical lover!

Wendy said...

You're in for a treat then, hunting up Bittner's backlist. A lot of her books fit that mold. The minute you find a copy of Outlaw Hearts, snatch it up. That's another really good one that fits the "western saga" bill.

novelnelle said...

Hi Lori,

My very first romance ever was a western and I've loved them ever since. I'm not sure if that's part of the reason I enjoy them so much or if I picked up a western because the time period already appealed to me. Young Guns was one of my favourite movies as a kid...

Wendy - That's good to hear. I tend to buy up entire author backlists after only reading one book and sometimes it turns out none of the other books are anything like the one I read first. I'll have to remember to keep an eye out for Outlaw Hearts. I'm usually picky about condition but if I see that one I'll buy it regardless.