Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Escape Artists


See these two adorable bundles of fur??


They look cute right? HA!

They are my nightmare.

The black and white bunny on the higher shelf would be Brodie - he's the original bunny. The con-artist. The one who tricked me into thinking rabbits were totally awesome. He's also deaf.

The dark brown bunny on the lower shelf is Abbie or as I like to call her Destructo-Bunny. She only has one eye (she came like that I swear).

So a little background information. I'm a huuuuge animal lover and I always, always, always have multiple pets. When my hubby and I moved into our first apartment I was there maybe 5 minutes before I started investigating what kind of pets would suit. I managed to convince Steve (hubby) that a rabbit would be perfect - the main selling point... we could clicker train him!!! (Yes, you did read correctly earlier he's deaf so that worked well).



 Anyhoo, we adopted Brodie from a local rabbit rescue and he was a fantastic apartment bunny. He was free range, never destroyed anything and always used his litterbox. So then I got it in my head that Brodie would be happier with a friend. And really what could be better than one bunny?? TWO!!!








Enter Little Miss Abbie Sunshine.   It was love at first sight for these two.  Which was great- until Abbie got all nice and settled in.  Then she brought out her alter ego - Destructo-Bunny.  Nothing was safe from her.  Books, carpet, furniture, cupboards, surround sound systems all were defenseless victims of

this ones teeth and claws.  Then do you know what happened????  Brodie joined in - he thought it was the greatest thing since bananas.


Now on to the original point of my post.  These two holy terrors live in my basement.  In an area that is larger than any of the extra bedrooms in our house - on the far side of the basement (away from the stairs).  Carpeted on one side/floor on the other, lots of toys, all the hay they can eat - trust me these bunnies are living it up down there.

So tonight when I get home from work I make my way down the stairs to feed them their dinner and who is waiting for me at the bottom of the stairs??? Brodie.  At the bottom of my stairs on the wrong side of the gate.  Wonderful. Do you know how many places there are for a rabbit to hide in a basement that is largely used for storage and laundry??? TONS!!  Thank GOD Abbie didn't figure out how to escape because she does not care for us humans.  She is a pet store bunny and had little to no interactions with humans at all for the first year and a half of her life and she does not care for us all that much now - unless we have food and we don't touch her.

So 40 minutes later I'm still chasing this cheeky little bugger around the basement - the most aggravating part -  it's not like he's hiding the whole time he comes right out to see you, head butts you, bites your sock but damned if you're getting your hands anywhere near him.  So suddenly I have a brainwave... NANNERS!!!  Why the heck didn't I think of nanners earlier???  So I go upstairs and get myself a banana and plop myself on the floor by the gate and proceed to share my banana with Abbie.  It takes a few minutes since he can't hear me but suddenly there it is between those two boxes - a nose and it's twitching.  Sure enough here comes the little stinker right across the floor up into my lap and helps himself to my banana.  It took a total of 3 minutes to get him that way.  Wow - did I feel foolish.

Despite all this they are still the cutest bunnies in the world so I guess I'll continue to feed them (that's a joke please don't call the humane society on me).  They are two of my babies and I adore them despite their stress inducing behaviors but bunnies most certainly are not for everyone :)


5 comments:

Lori said...

OMGosh, they are adorable! Did you remind them that the good bunny's behavior is supposed to rub off on the 'bad' bunny's behavior? Heh.

novelnelle said...

Hi Lori,

Yes they are adorable - that's how they get you!! Bad bunny behavior is much more fun than good bunny behavior - they don't want to waste time on that!

~ames~ said...

OMG so cute! When I was younger I had a black rabbit and my little bro, who could barely speak at the time, called him Blueball. LOL

Hilcia said...

OMG, Danielle! That is so funny! Chains the bunnies all over the place! LOL!

Hey, are those teetmarks I see on those books behind the bunnies behind the second picture? Are those from Miss Abbie your Destructo-Bunny? LOL!

Lover Of Romance said...

I love your blog!!! I am a new follower to yours, and I am looking forward to reading more from you!