Monday, August 31, 2009

Wish Upon a Cowboy - Kathleen Kane

Back Cover Blurb

IS IT TRUE LOVE...
Jonas Mackenzie isn't sure what to make of the beautiful stranger who showed up at his Wyoming ranch with marriage on her mind. While he's trying hard to ignore the sparks flying between them, Hannah Lowell is a woman on a mission with a stubborn streak as wide as his own. Worse, she's harboring some crazy notions about a past he can't remember and a future he can't believe.

OR JUST WISHFUL THINKING?
Hannah hadn't been thrilled at the idea of marrying a man she didn't know...until she had a good look at the lean and rugged cowboy who was her destiny. But how is she going to convince a man who doesn't believe in magic that he's got the power to save a town from a terrible fate? And that it all boils down to his belief in his legacy, his heart, and in the most powerful magic of all...their love?

My Review

This is going to be a meh review.  I'm terrible at writing these - maybe this blog will improve my mediocre book review skills but I doubt it.

To me this book had soooooo much potential it had a very cute premise that should have worked for me but didn't. I spent most of my time reading it rolling my eyes.  My biggest problem with this book were the characters they annoyed me to death.  Hannah started off okay as one of those - dare I say it - fiesty heriones but wow did she ever decline in my books.  At the beginning of the book when all the cowhands refused to even so much as wash their hands before eating she stepped up took charge (in a memorable and funny scene) and made darn sure they had polite table manners the next time they wanted to eat a decent meal.  So you would think that when it comes to something important like... oh I don't know the lives of all her friends and family she'd be darn sure she made her point.  But no.  Hannah spends weeks trying to convince Jonas that he is a warlock who needs to step up, marry her and destroy the evil warlock taking over the townHow does she take on this mighy task you ask (or maybe you don't but I'm going to tell you).  She keeps talking about helping the guild. That's right rather than talk about the danger to herself, her friends and her family she keeps telling him about his obligation to the guild.  To Jonas the guild is nothing but a large group of faceless crazies half way across the country why would he even bother to bust his ass to help them.  She never says anything about what Blake Wolcott has done that is so horrible or that he plans to force her to marry him to take her powers, that he makes non-magical people dissappear etc. etc. and she can't understand why he won't help her.  Yeesh - enough about Hannah.

I didn't have as many problems with Jonas.  He was stubborn and irratating at times but I could understand where he was coming from and why he had so much baggage.  Jonas also completely redeemed himself by the end of the book while Hannah continued to go on like a silly twit.

The other problem I had was with the romance.  I just don't buy these two falling in love.  I'm sure they were very attracted to one another but how they could fall in love is beyond me.  The majority of the book was spent with Jonas doing his darndest to avoid Hannah and Hannah silently musing to herself about how Jonas was avoiding her.  There was almost no time spent showing me how they fell in love with one another - they would be in the same room long enough to get in an arguement about witchcraft and then Jonas would leave.  Like I said I'm not buying it.

Otherwise the book was well written and I generally enjoyed the story.  I thought the final conflict was done well and I actually enjoyed the last 50 or so pages of this book tremendously - the rest of it though... not so much.  It just didn't grab me - but then light books never really do - yes I can enjoy them and sometimes they are keepers but they don't have the same effect on me as angsty books.  

All in all it was a pretty mediocre read for me and the exact opposite of the last Kathleen Kane book I read (This Time for Keeps)  which I absolutely loved right up to the ending which I found incredibly dissappointing although I can't remember why now.


Rating 6.5/10

No comments: