Tuesday, August 25, 2009

The Raven Prince - Elizabeth Hoyt

There have been so many good reviews written about this book already I'm going to keep this short and sweet since I'll basically be repeating what everyone else has already said.

I'm definitely late to the party on this one. I've been hearing about this book on-line for ages and it's been in my TBR pile for almost as long. I stayed away from it though because I'm starting to get burned out on European Historicals and I've only been pulling them out when I'm almost certain they will be wonderful.

This book was most definitely wonderful.


Back Cover Blurb

Widowed Anna Wren is having a wretched day. After an arrogant male on horseback nearly squashes her, she arrives home to learn that she is in dire financial straits. What is a gently bred lady to do?

The Earl of Swartingham is in a quandary. Having frightened off two secretaries, Edward de Raaf needs someone who can withstand his bad temper and boorish behavior. Dammit! How hard can it be to find a decent secretary?

When Anna becomes the earl’s secretary, both their problems are solved. Then she discovers he plans to visit the most notorious brothel in London for his “manly” needs. Well! Anna sees red—and decides to assuage her “womanly” desires . . . with the earl as her unknowing lover.


What can I say about this book that hasn't already been said? Not much actually. Edward and Anna make a wonderful couple and their love story is sweet and touching. Both these characters are fully realized and well developed. The supporting characters are all equally well drawn and each bring a little something extra to the story. I know some people had some issues with the historical accuracy of the book but the whole thing had such a fairytale feel to it that I didn't even notice. To me it felt like arguing that Cinderella is rubish because we all know a pumpkin really couldn't turn into coach. I also really enjoyed the snippets of The Raven Prince fairytale at the beginning of each chapter.

I only had a couple of minor quibbles. The first was the blackmail plot which I found kind of unnecessary but I was happy to see that not alot of time was spent on it. The second was the epilogue which really isn't a problem with the book but more with me. I generally don't enjoy epilogues but I always feel compelled to read them only to find that they really don't add anything to the story for me. I don't need details once I've been assured that the characters are going to get their happily ever after.

Grade 8/10

3 comments:

Marg said...

I really love Elizabath Hoyt's writing, and this book was such a breath of fresh air when it originally came out!

Welcome to blogging.

novelnelle said...

Thanks for the welcome and thanks for reading. I can't wait to pick up the rest of Elizabeth Hoyt's backlist.

Shaymless Aymless said...

I have this one in the TBR too. Really must get around to reading from it.