Tuesday, March 23, 2010

I Learned Something About Myself Today...


...I do NOT enjoy having the bedroom door slammed in my face. While I've read several sweet romances where the love scenes take place behind closed doors I can't say I've ever read a book before where the door is figuratively slammed in my face.

I just finished reading Lori Copeland's Promise Me Today which was a actually a very cute story and lovely light hearted western. HOWEVER, this was the first book I've ever read where there is a huuuuge build up to the the love scene and then the author gets thisclose to the h/h finally making love only cut out right before the good stuff happens. Now I'm not saying I need sex in my romances - I don't - I've enjoyed quite a few romances that were kisses only but this is different. I honestly thought for a moment that I was missing a section of the book I mean how do we go from this to that?? Why is she alone all the sudden?? And how exactly did our extremely talented hero (aren't they always tho?) manage to take the innocent heroine's virginity standing up?? Yes that's right I even know how they were planning on doing it since they were already in position before the author insisting on closing that damn door.

I can't help it I feel ripped off. That is such a big part of the story especially considering the conflict between the two leading up to this particular scene. Was he gentle? Did he talk to her? What did he say? Did they resolve anything or did they just ignore it and enjoy themselves? Did they talk to one another after? Was she happy? Was she ashamed? Was he?How the heck am I supposed to know this? It certainly wasn't made clear after the fact. The more I think about it the more frustrated I get.

Nope. I don't like this. Not one bit.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think I would feel just as frustrated as you seem to be, I hate it when that happens, I mean I don't need sex in a romance but it just depends on the book for me, but it sounds like I would be feeling the same way as you are.

Jill D. said...

Yes, this happened to me with a Susan Wiggs book. I was a little surprized because it was a contemporary and I just wasn't expecting it, ya know?

I think that if a sex scene is done right the reader can really get a feel for the connection between the two characters. A lot can be discovered about the character too in a sex scene.

I hear you, LOL!!

novelnelle said...

Queen of Romance and Jill D. - Thanks for the responses :)

I wasn't sure if I was just being pissy but it's nice to know I'm not the only one this would bother a bit :)