Monday, January 25, 2010

Heaven, Texas - Susan Elizabeth Phillips



 Come heck or high water, Gracie Snow is determined to drag the legendary ex-jock Bobby Tom Denton back home to Heaven, Texas, to begin shooting his first motion picture. Despite his dazzling good looks and killer charm, Bobby Tom has reservations about being a movie star -- and no plans to cooperate with a prim and bossy Ohio wallflower whom he can't get off his mind or out of his life. Instead, the hell-raising playboy decides to make her over from plain Jane to Texas wildcat.
But nothing's more dangerous than a wildcat with an angel's heart in a town too small for a bad boy to hide. And all hell breaks loose when two unforgettable people discover love, laughter, passion -- and a match that can only be made in Heaven.


This just might be my favourite contemporary novel yet.  It's a very close race which includes Crusie's Bet Me and SEP's Kiss an Angel but I think this one might just sneak into the top spot.  Bobby Tom was just the right mix of jack ass and lost little boy that he was still endearing.  I thought Gracie made a great heroine she was strong willed and wasn't afraid of putting Bobby Tom in his place when he needed it (which was often).  The relationship between these two seemed very natural and was quite funny at times.  My only minor, minor quibble is the same problem I had with Lady Be Good by SEP.  The heroines personality does a complete 180 near the end in order to facilitate the totally awesome ending - yes it's kind of annoying in a "Big Mis" kind of way but the pay off makes it worth it.  This is probably one of the best endings to a romance novel yet.  And even better?  There was no epilogue!!!!!

Rating 10/10

6 comments:

Hilcia said...

Hah! You're a Bobby Tom fan! LOL... I enjoyed this book, although it didn't make it to the top of my SEP reads. I agree with you that the ending is one of the best... loved it, loved it. :D

novelnelle said...

I know :) I was a little surprised I liked Bobby Tom as much as I did. It may have been because I'd heard so much about how big a jerk he was that it didn't seem as bad when I read it. Then again I also adore Clayton Westmoreland...

Mary G said...

Good to see you back.
Have you read any other SEPs in this series? Dream A Little Dream
(4th one)just blew me away.
Mary from Pickering

novelnelle said...

Hi Mary,

Thank you. It's good to be sorta back on a regular schedule :) I haven't read any others in the series yet. I didn't realize this wasn't the first one until I was 3/4 of the way through it. I do have some of the series in my TBR pile so I'm going to be sure to bump them up closer to the top :)

Mary G said...

Actually I read Dream A Little Dream first. On her web-site you can read almost 80 pages of the books & I was hooked. Then I went back & read the rest in order. They are all fine as stand alones.
Let me know what you're missing & we'll meet for coffee, you can borrow mine.

novelnelle said...

Hi again Mary,

That sounds like a great idea! The only other book I have from the Chicago Stars series is Nobody's Baby but Mine. Maybe we could even do a book swap? If you want you can email me at dbolahood@yahoo.com and I'll send you my excessive list of books and you can let me know if there is anything in there you are interested in :)